Saturday, August 04, 2007

NOSTALGIA

It's been a while since I last posted. I've been busy. And I haven't been inspired by much that's happening these days.

I was an optimist, once. I felt lucky. I have been lucky, in many respects, but I felt that good fortune would always be a part of my future. I don't feel that way any more.

I could never have imagined some of the things I have witnessed in the past decade. The stolen elections. The phony reasons for war. The trashing of the Constitution.

And, what's worse, the pathetic weakness in the defense of this nation and its principles.

This generation of Americans has failed, so far, to defend America from its enemies: Bush, Cheney, and their corporate masters. Our government, our media, our future have been sold out. We have been sold out. And most of us just sit, helpless.

It's depressing.

Is there hope?

It would be nice to think so.

As a nation, we've been through tough times before, and we have prevailed. There's reason to believe that we will do so again. Real democracy may survive here - if we are determined.

In the words of a non-corrupt Republican: "It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Those were terrible times. But at least we had an honest President.

No comments:

Post a Comment